Riverview History

A camp for children since 1926. A private camp for girls since 1983. A Dream Come True!!!!

 

Riverview Camp for Girls has been owned and operated by Susan and Larry Hooks since 1997. As Directors of Camp Skyline in the Mentone area from 1983 through February of 1997, their dream had been “to be able to own their own camp”. When the opportunity to assume the ownership role on this campus became an option, they were delighted. The spacious wooded riverfront property the campus is located on is absolutely “A Dream Come True”!


Riverview is located on the former Saddle Rock Camp for Girls campus. Since the Saddle Rock name had been established as a non-transferable name, the name Riverview was born out of necessity. “Riverview” was chosen because of its location on the beautiful waterfront property on “Little River”, a river that is classified as an Outstanding National Resource Waterway. The deep green tinted river allows one to see clearly the river-rock floor of the gently flowing waters… fresh water bass and brim are often visible, as well. Parents often say that our video and catalog do not “do justice” to the actual view of the river itself!

 

Cloudmont Camp for Boys was the founding camp on this site in 1926. Although the cabins have been remodeled and the site continuously updated, there are still several original, authentic log cabins, the original dining hall and the original beautiful “open-air” gymnasium.

 

As the campus continues to be nurtured by the Riverview Staff, our one goal is for children and parents to feel the safe haven that is provided for our campers… a summer camp rich in fun, friendship, learning and adventure. Riverview is proud to be a part of a traditional camp that will make each child know that… “We're glad you're here!” and that our dream will be “A Dream Come True” for Riverview campers, as well!